Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mock Draft #1

Over at CBSsports.com I joined one of the many mock drafts. The good part is I can practice my draft techniques, the bad, it was NL only...mildly disappointing.

Here are the round by round results of my draft. NL only, 10 teams, 3rd pick snake draft

1) Ryan Howard, 1B (was a toss up between him and David Wright. I could use the pop and grab some AVG next round.)

2) Brandon Webb, SP (with some of the top pitchers leaving early in the draft, I though it would be a wise choice to lock up last year's NL Cy Young winner as my #1 starter.)

3) Aramis Ramirez, 3B (Chipper Jones was available, but I am not a fan of his injuries.)

4) Geovanny Soto, C (catchers were going like hotcakes and I had to grab one before the better choices were gone.)

5) Stephen Drew, SS (a shortstop with some pop in his bat is not very common, Drew was a nice fit.)

6) Kelly Johnson, 2B (tough pick here between Johnson and Freddy Sanchez. Sanchez proveded a strong second half after an injury, however, Kelly was consistent throughout the entire season.)

7) Derek Lowe, SP (In an NL only league, I was surprised to see Lowe fall so far. Had to grab him for a more secure pitching staff.)

8) Justin Upton, OF (Francoure was my first choice, but with him drafted right before me, Upton was the next best choice)

9) Milton Bradley, OF (I probably should have drafted a pitcher this round)

10) Yovani Gallardo, SP (missed most of last season with a knee injury, came back and helked the Brewers in the playoff race. Will be the ace of the staff with Sabathia gone.)

11) Max Scherzer, SP (showed a lot of promise in his rookie season last year, as my fourth drafted pitcher, it could pay off)

12) Adam LaRoche, 1B

13) Ryan Church, OF

14) Kosuke Fukudome, OF

15) Luis Castillo, 2B

16) Kyle Lohse, SP

17) Chad Qualls, RP

18) Barry Zito, SP

19) Ryan Franklin, RP

20) Brian Schneider, C

21) Jerry Hairston, OF

22) J. J. Putz, RP


I'm not too happy with my draft results, and I don't think this is a league winning team. Playoff team, yes, win it all, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment