Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mock Draft #2

Second mock draft of the night. This one has both AL and NL players. Same as the last mock draft I just participated in. 10 teams, snake, and again, I'm the third pick.

1) Hanley Ramirez, SS (I wanted Alex Rodriguez, but that never happened. I can sacrifice a bit of power for speed.)

2) Lance Berkman, 1B (A relatively deep position, I wanted to grab one of the best out there before he was gone.)

3) Brandon Webb, SP (High win and strike out totals complimented by a healthy ERA and WHIP.)

4) Brandon Phillips, 2B (I almost picked Robinson Cano hoping for a comeback year, but wasn't too set on him yet.)

5) Brian McCann, C (Joe Mauer was drafted, McCann is his NL counterpart.)

6) Magglio Ordonez, OF (I was going to pick Curtis Granderson, then I saw Mags was still available, yoink!)

7) Jon Lackey, SP (second of my two strong starters. Not necessarily the best draft out there, but it was him or the injury prone Beckett.)

8) Garret Atkins, 3B (Although Chipper was still available, I wanted a 3B without any injury concerns.)

9) Pay Burrell, OF (Tough choice here. No idea where Bobby Abreu would wind up, so I lowered my standards a bit an went with the new Ray.)

10) Trevor Hoffman, RP (I nearly forgot to grab a reliever. With Hoffman now on the Brewers, I see 35+ saves headed his way on a potential playoff team.)

11) Joba Chamberlain, RP/SP

12) Raul Ibanez, OF

13) Derek Lowe, SP

14) Kevin Gregg, RP

15) George Sherrill, RP

16) Ryan Doumit, C

17) Andre Ethier, OF

18) Xavier Nady, OF

19) Gil Meche, SP

20) Andy Pettitte, SP

21) Jason Werth, OF

22) Lastings Milledge, OF


I feel a lot better with this draft. Even with my ignorance of the reliever category, I managed to pick up three solid closers. Obviously I was pitcher heavy in the later rounds, but I felt like I had enough offense to hgold me over and still got my two strong starters in.

I will probably participate in a couple more mock drafts in the next few weeks and prepare myself for the real deal come league formation.

No comments:

Post a Comment